Saturday, February 23, 2013

New Cattleya L.C. Mari's Song x Mem. Robert Strait 'splash petal'

Cattleya after repotting.
     My first cattleya! I purchased it as a 'good job' gift after being accepted to Rutgers University (yay!). It is a BetterGro plant from Lowes home improvement, and I am unsure if its blooming size yet. There were two sizes but I bought the smaller one, for it was half the price of the larger. Im in no rush to see it bloom, and a few dollas of savings is always nice :) .
     The cattleyas were in a fresh shipment, so root rot was not a concern, but Im happy I ended up looking at the root ball: Surprisingly, there were a good amount of mushy brown roots!
     Originally planted in a 3" plastic pot with small/medium bark perlite mix. 3 Pseudobulbs, and one just starting to grow.
Original potting.
New growth - a spike-like mystery growth (center, under leaf). New pseudobulb seen on left side.

New pseudobulb!

Roots, after being picked clean and snipped of rot.
       I have fallen in love with LECA. I have been using it lately in all my repotting - It holds some water but is extremely airy and dries efficiently.

3" clay pot, a bit big but I placed extra LECA on the botton for drainage.

Newly planted in LECA Bark mix.
     I repotted the cattleya into a slightly larger clay pot (~3.5" across), with LECA and a medium bark mix. I cannot wait to watch it grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment