Saturday, July 27, 2013

Keiki 2 removed and potted


     While this keiki has been removed from the mother plant for months now, I have just now removed it from the inflorescence and potted it up on its own. The leaves show a bit of wrinkling from dehydration. I believe this was the best time to just bite the bullet and pot it up, in hopes of the tiny roots providing better hydration than the cut inflorescence did.

About 6 stubby .5 inch roots.

     The rule of thumb for keiki removal is "3 inches of roots"; this can be 3 one inch roots or 1 long three inch root. This keiki did not truly fulfill the requirement, yet seems to be doing okay right now. I snipped the stem just above and below the attachment point and let the plantlet soak in warm water, barely laced with Physan for 5 minutes. In the meantime, I prepared a tiny 2 inch plastic pot by layering LECA on the bottom.


     Finally, I surrounded the keiki with oncidium/seedling mix from Repotme. The roots are barely touching the mix, just resting on it. The keiki is somewhat unstable in the pot, but I do not plan to disturb it, even for watering. It can be easily and thoroughly watered with my misting bottle until it becomes more established in the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment