Saturday, August 3, 2013

New Dend. aggregatum.


    Another 'bag baby' I bought with the addition to my brand new orchid shelving. This is actually my second Dend, but I never introduced the first because of its sickly, uninteresting state. This Dendrobium is a bit different than most; when you think Dend, you think canes. D. aggregatum has stubby pseudobulb-like growths that sustain it. I have read that it is finicky to bloom but can be coaxed by a long winter rest: no water whatsoever, regular strength sun, until the first signs of an inflorescence. The PBs will shrivel a bit but it is a small price to pay when the small, honey-scented sprays of blooms emerge. Pictures online of this Dend are absolutely beautiful.




     My D. aggregatum was (like always with bag babies) potted in heavily decomposed bark. I also always seem to bring small spiders into the house with a purchase of a bag baby; never any other orchid. Nevertheless, I was surprised by the root health. There was a nice handful of freshly grown roots, still with green tips.  I was highly put off by the loads of fertilizer pellets on top of the medium. Repotting was highly necessary, regardless.



     I potted with my usual LECA coconut husk mix back into its old container. I modified the pot by placing extra holes for air and drainage. I am very excited for this plant in my collection and hope to remember about the 'long winter rest' trick for blooming. It is very attractive and healthy, even without blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment