Monday, January 14, 2013

Onc. Heaven Scent 'redolence'

     Oh boy, where do I start?

     I was on a trip yesterday to NYC with the boyfriend and this was also a good opportunity for me to buy myself another orchid. I have had my eye on tolumnia's for a long while, but reputable online vendors refuse to ship right around now due to the cold weather. My best bet was the NY Botanical Ganrden's gift shop. They always carry a nice array of orchids for sale, but sadly the Bronx were nowhere in our plans for the day. After reading on a few blogs about the "flower district", I hauled arse to 28th st. 
Brick-colored blooms with a chocolate scent
     After browsing through 6 shops, no tolumnias were available! I settled for a random oncidium and left for my train home. I made sure it had an ID tag but payed no attention to it until I was home. There is one large P/B and two smaller ones. P/B's are very plump - a few scuffs but nothing that is detrimental to health. There seems to be another one peeking out of the medium (a leaf is growing off of the nub) but im not too sure yet. Two flower spikes, approx. 1 foot in length each with too many flowers to count. The blooms have a distinct vanilla-chocolate scent at noon, that later turns into a generic floral scent at night - a delight that my Phals. just cant deliver.
Green healthy Pseudobulbs. Not a wrinkle in sight.
     This morning, I did some research and Im happy I chose this Onc.. It is apparently very easy to grow. Being my first non Phal., it will be an experience.
     I usually repot as soon as I bring home but I am unsure about this one. The fact that it is in bloom makes me not want  to repot just yet, but then again the media may not be proper or the roots may be in total rot. There are very conflicting opinions on repotting and growing Oncidiums in general, so I guess Im alone in figuring this one out.

Blooms up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment