Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Temporary repotting of Onc. Heaven Scent 'Redolence'.


    
Lots of healthy roots!
Oncidium in potting soil.

Edit #2: I would like to emphasize and make clear, this is NOT the proper way to pot an oncidium, and yes I am aware of that. This was only temporary.


     As mentioned in a pervious post, I did not repot Onc. Heaven Scent when I purchased it (which is what I usually do with new plants). I lacked supplies and wanted to appreciate the blooms for a bit longer. I placed it in growing area #2, since it receives more light than area 1 on my desk. My worst fears were that the Onc. was planted into something that was inappropriate for my growing conditions. Well, thats exactly what happened... 

     The pseudobulbs were starting to wrinkle lightly before I decided to de-pot the Onc.. Im glad I did because it was potted in soil! Washing away the soil wasn't too hard, and the roots were tangled but manageable and healthy. Once the soil was gone, I found heavily decomposed peat moss and sphagnum moss. Picking it away was a horrible experience, and Im sure I pulled off some roots in the process.

Baby nubbin - A future pseudobulb?


     While digging, I found a new, unseen growth! The little nubb with a leaf I found last time is another small P/B like suspected. A more mature bulb is showing signs of possible rot. There is also a very tiny growth towards the back - Im sure its a new P/B. 

Tiny P/B in front.  P/B on left with possible rot.


     I still do not have the right media for this oncidium, so it was temporarily potted in a 4" plastic pot with loose sphagnum. I am no longer concerned with the blooms since they are slowly starting to fall on their own. I hope my order of media and potts will arrive soon!

Oncidium Heaven scent in its temporary setting.
Growing area 2.


Edit: I have updated my repotting once again, properly this time. Read about it here! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment