Thursday, January 3, 2013

Say hello to phal noid 1.

6 of my phal's are noid's that I picked up from Loew's home improvement store -one I purchased at Ikea (some sort of hybrid, still noid though!)

I have two areas that my orchids sit, this being one. I try to keep the humidity around 50% using an ultrasonic humidifier but its hard to keep it steady with the hot, dry heat blowing from the heater this time of year. They receive a good amount of light from a north-northwest window that is exactly across from them, about 10 ft away.
Growing area #1
This is Phal number 1. It has grown one leaf since I purchased it approx. last january and to my surprise, another leaf is peeking out.


First phal. 
Adorable little leaf nub!


It has only bloomed once since I purchased it, from a spike extension and the blooms are a deep purple/magenta. I dont think it will bloom again this year, because of the explosion of roots its been growing. I will keep an eye on it for a bit more and transplant it rather soon - the bark mix is starting to decompose and house fungus gnats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment