Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A late introduction to Phal. NoID "Floppy Jack"



     This is Floppy Jack, named so because of its floppy, long, unruly leaves. I normally would not bother with a plant like Floppy Jack, but I found him in the trash bin of the hardware store after bloom - Free plant!

The leaves are not that floppy, but much more unruly compared to my other phals.

     Floppy Jack is not too healthy - very poor roots and it seems like it is confused. Instead of pushing energy toward leaf or root production, this phal keeps trying to bloom!  It has pushed 4 flower buds in the last 2 months and a spike extension, despite having two stubby roots. I snipped the spike and placed the blooms into a vase (which lasted 3 weeks!) so the plant could focus on things other than blooming  and it seems like it might be pushing another spike! I give up! (I also think I need to stop taking  in rescue plants! :P )


Spike extension - Just wont give up!

Another spike? (left side)

     As of right now, Jack has been repotted along with everyone else. I am hoping and anticipating root growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment